Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween!

It's Halloween today! The perfect excuse to let out your inner child and get a little crazy in the kitchen. As usual, I have some treats in store for my family today.
Ever since I moved to the Netherlands (way back in 1997) I have been celebrating all the American holidays just as I did back home. I really wanted Kirstie to grow up knowing about carving pumpkins for Halloween or about why we celebrate Thanksgiving- which is more than an eat-till-you-bust turkey dinner, by the way. We've been carving pumpkins when few people in the Netherlands actually knew what Halloween was! I remember that first year. The only thing I could find were miniature squash. No big pumpkins to be found! So of course, I carved those up!
But let me tell you about how we'll be celebrating Halloween today...
When Kirstie woke up this morning, she found a little something on her breakfast plate- a gift from the Great Pumpkin. For those of you who don't know what I mean, have a look at the following link: the Great Pumpkin. She may be almost 13, but in my eyes, traditions are traditions, no matter how old you are.
While she was away at school, I got busy baking and whipped up some lovely little chocolate fudge muffins. Cute, right? They'll be dessert after a ghoulish dinner! The recipe can be found here: Spider Web Chocolate Fudge Muffins. They were very easy to make. I haven't tasted them yet, but they smell and look delicious.
In the past, I have thrown Halloween themed dinner parties, but tonight I'm going to take it easy and cozy up with my family for an evening of scary movies by the glow of candlelight. Too bad there's no trick-or-treaters coming around!
Happy Halloween!
PS: Looking forward to telling you all about how we celebrate Thanksgiving!

No comments: