Thursday, October 25, 2012

Aromatic Lamb Mince Curry

I finally managed to clean out my spice cabinets last weekend. A rather arduous task, considering that I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to buying ingredients. Be it mustards, jams, flours, oils, vinegars or spices. Sometimes it's so bad, that I run to the shops to buy something only to realize I actually had it- buried deep in some kitchen cabinet or in my pantry. I know.
The best thing about finally organizing my spice collection, is the inspiration that comes with the job. It easily happens when you have a little sniff of this here and a little sniff of that there.
I came up with this fantastic curry after my cleaning frenzy, and let me just tell you that it was absolutely wonderful! The depth of flavor created by the combination of spices and the different ways in which I used them was phenomenal. I do hope you'll try it- because I know you will love it just as much as we did!

Aromatic Lamb Mince Curry
Serves 4
For the mince:
500g minced lamb
1/2 finely chopped onion
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 fat garlic cloves, minced
2 red chilli peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
1 beaten egg
3 tbsps breadcrumbs

For the rest of the curry:
2 tsps coriander seeds
2 tsps cumin seeds
3 tbsps mild olive oil
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves
5 cardamom pods, bruised
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp smoked paprika powder
3/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
1 can chopped tomatoes
120ml coconut cream

For the mince: mix all of the ingredients and form small balls. Pop them in the fridge while you get on with the rest of the recipe.
To make the sauce: roast the coriander and cumin seeds in a dry frying pan and after that, grind them with the pestle and mortar. Heat the oil in the frying pan, add the cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom pods and allow them to gently flavor the oil for about five minutes. Remove everything except the cinnamon stick. Add all of the ground spices (including the ones you just prepared). Stir briefly and add in the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Gently add the balls and do not stir. Cover and cook for 45 minutes, turning the balls halfway through the cooking time. Add the coconut cream, stir gently, cook for another minute and serve with a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley or coriander and some naan breads.

No comments: