Monday, November 11, 2013

Bel Ami (Bussum)

This weekend I could've sworn I ended up at a brasserie in Paris. But the fact of the matter was that we'd only driven to Bussum -- just twenty minutes away.
Bel Ami breathes French charm and sophistication from the moment you enter. Beautiful stained glass windows, hardwood floors, attractive paintings, and properly dressed, attentive waiters.
I started with a cool glass of Pommery champagne and Hans chose the house wine -- a smooth Cabernet Sauvignon full of ripe cherries with the tiniest hint of pepper.
The menu features lunch choices, starters, entremets, mains, desserts, and a three-course market menu for 29,95.
I ordered the steak tartare, which came with seasoned toast, thin-cut chips and a fresh, green salad. Hans had the boeuf bourguignon. Both were excellent, but here's a tiny warning -- or two. The food is seasoned with copious amounts of garlic (hey, they're French!), so bear that in mind! Their 'normal' boeuf bourguignon could easily feed two! If you want a starter or would like to leave room for dessert, you're better off asking for a 'small' serving! It isn't any wonder Hans just had an espresso for dessert.
I, on the other hand, chose the warm tarte tatin served with a scoop of aromatic cinnamon ice cream. I must say, I've had a tarte tatin or two in my life, but this one sort of left them all in the dust.
I'll be back for a few Gillardeaus...