Friday, October 25, 2013

Pumpkin Spice Latte

Friday is here! But, it's not weekend just yet. I still have an amazing pile of work in front of me -- which I've been tackling all morning and will continue to tackle right after this post!
I can't believe that Halloween is just around the corner, by the way. This Sunday we'll be carving our jack-o-lanterns, watching scary movies and eating 'slime soup' and 'blood and guts potatoes'.
I must say that I've really enjoyed this October. Especially cooking with pumpkins, apples and all sorts of warm, aromatic spices. The only thing is that right around this time of year, I start to get rather homesick. I think it has something to do with the holidays approaching. Even after sixteen years of living in the Netherlands, I still miss things such as kids coming around trick-or-treating, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade live in New York City with my dad, busy shopping malls on Black Friday, eggnog galore at the supermarkets -- and the list goes on.
Fortunately, I'm pretty much covered when it comes to favorite American foods. I have Kingsalmarkt and a few websites to supply me with special ingredients, and I can honestly say that I'm not that bad when it comes to recreating some American classics in my own kitchen.
In my previous post, I told you about the muffins I made with canned pumpkin pie mix, and in this post I want to give you the recipe for the fabulous pumpkin spice latte I made using that same ingredient. For those of you living in the Netherlands, should you be searching for pumpkin pie spices, here's a little secret: you can easily replace them with speculaaskruiden!
Enjoy your latte and happy weekend!

Pumpkin Spice Latte
Serves 1
1 1/2 tbsps canned pumpkin pie mix
1 cup whole milk
2 tsps light brown sugar
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spices (or speculaaskruiden)
drop of vanilla extract
1/2 cup freshly-brewed coffee

Whisk the canned pumpkin pie mix with the milk, sugar, spices and vanilla extract. Gently simmer while continuing to whisk. Pour your coffee into a tall glass and add the warmed milk mixture. Top with whipped cream or cinnamon if desired. As you can see from the picture, I like mine as is!