Monday, March 18, 2013

Mediterranean Open-Faced Sandwich (Guaranteed to Chase Away the Winter Blues)

On Saturdays, I love to start my day with a trip through the market. Besides the fish stall, one of my weekly stops is the fruit and vegetable stand. I usually try to eat as seasonally as possible, but sometimes (as is the case when we've had a very long winter) I start to crave sunny foods and can't help but buy things like tomatoes and aubergines. I know. In my defense, I think it's a sign from my body -- as though it's begging for more vitamins. So I listen, give in and come back home with a basket that feels like summer in the French countryside! At home, I use my prettiest bowls to display everything as beautifully as possible. Who needs flowers when food can add so much color and beauty to the the kitchen! 
This open-faced sandwich was the result of last weekend's market trip. It's really colorful, sunny, very delicious and a sure way to chase away the winter blues!

Mediterranean Open-Faced Sandwich
Serves 3

3 thick slices of good bread
3 tsps basil pesto (store-bought is fine)
1 ball of mozzarella, thinly sliced
mild olive oil
1 medium aubergine, thinly sliced
1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
freshly-cracked pepper, good olive oil and cress leaves, to serve

Grill the bread, spread with the pesto and layer with the mozzarella. Heat a little olive oil in a pan a and quickly fry the aubergine slices on both sides. Season with a little salt. Put the slices on top of the mozzarella. Add another tiny bit of oil to the pan and quickly fry the tomatoes. You're not actually frying the vegetables, more like searing them. Layer the tomatoes on top of the aubergine. Season with some freshly-cracked pepper, a drizzle of good olive oil and a scattering of cress leaves. In case you may want to spoil yourself even more, serve with a chilled rosé wine.


No comments: