Thursday, April 26, 2012

Healthy Rhubarb Muffins

A few weeks ago I finally managed to find rhubarb at the market. What a joy! I had eagerly been waiting for that moment; the arrival of rhubarb signifies the beginning of spring to me. Plus, I can't help feeling happy when I see its bright pink color! 
I got home and immediately made some compote to go over my vanilla yogurt in the morning, but I still had a little left and shamefully, it managed to stay on my kitchen counter since then. Unused and unhappy. Until this afternoon when I was inspired to make a batch of pretty darn yummy rhubarb muffins. And, added bonus- they're healthy too! No butter or oil, raw cane sugar and spelt flour make them a relatively guilt-free snack or fun breakfast. I'm going to give them to my teen to take to school as a mid-morning snack. Just yesterday she was complainig that she was rather bored of bananas. These will go down well, I bet...
Here's the recipe:

Healthy Rhubarb Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
270g spelt flour
2 tsps baking powder
150g chopped rhubarb
1 very very ripe banana (mashed)
200ml organic vanilla yogurt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
180g raw cane sugar

Preheat oven to 200°C. Prepare a 12-hole muffin tin. Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl. Add rhubarb and stir again.
In a measuiring jug, whisk the mashed banana, yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract and sugar. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently combine everything with a wooden spoon.
Fill the muffin tin with the batter and bake for 15-20 minutes. Test after 15 minutes with a wooden skewer. Allow to cool on a rack before serving.

2 comments:

Kelly @ Kell's Kitchen said...

Can I have one, please ;-)? I love rhubarb too; the colour, the smell, the taste... everything! I roasted some rhubarb in the oven last week for a lovely dessert (still have to post it, loved it!). I've never had rhubarb muffins before but I just know they're good!

Paola Westbeek said...

Of course you may! You bring some of those treats you made with Rachel and I'll bring the muffins and pink bubbles! :)