Sunday, April 08, 2012

Chocolate Advocaat Muffins

I love chocolate Easter eggs! The brightly colored foil wrappers are so pretty and they are the perfect size for a little indulging without a lot of guilt. My favorite kinds of chocolate egg are probably the ones with some kind of fun added flavor. White, pure and milk can be a tad boring, but advocaat for example...yum
For those of you who don't know, advocaat is a thick, Dutch eggnog which is not meant to drink, but to spoon! In Holland they sometimes refer to it as an "old-lady's drink", but who cares! With a little whipped cream it makes the perfect dessert and if I want something closer to the eggnog I remember from Christmasses long ago, I just add some full-fat milk and blend away!
But back to those advocaat flavored chocolate eggs. They were the inspiration for these muffins and a good excuse to use up some of the advocaat that had been sitting in the back of the fridge since Christmas. This is a very easy recipe, so if you have people coming over today and are looking for a nice little something to serve them, this might be worth a try!
Happy Easter!


Chocolate Advocaat Muffins
Makes 10 big muffins


225g flour
2 tbsps baking power
100g dark pépites de chocolat (or chocolate chips)
100ml advocaat
150ml full-fat milk
1 egg
3tbsps sunflower oil
150g raw cane sugar

Preheat oven to 200°C. Prepare a 12-hole muffin tin. Combine flour, baking powder and chocolate morsels in a bowl. In a measuiring jug, whisk the advocaat, milk, egg, oil and sugar. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently combine everything with a wooden spoon. Fill the muffin tin with the batter and bake for 15-20 minutes. Test after 15 minutes with a wooden skewer. Allow to cool on a rack before serving.

2 comments:

naushikaa said...

Great recipe!! Thanks. I bought some terribly cheap and disgusting Eierlikor (I guess just Advocaat in German) and was about to throw it away when the idea to make muffins out of them hit me. These were a hit in our household! Although I used about 20% more Advocaat and 20% less milk (regular 3% fat), and used normal dark chocolate cut up because the choc chips were too expensive at the store. It meant the chocolate was more gooey, but that's fine by me... actually I lke it. Thanks again!

Paola Westbeek said...

I am really glad you liked them! :) Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)