Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Fab Mocha Cupcakes: Dedicated to Some Very Special Teens

These delicious little cupcakes are dedicated to my children: my daughter of course, but also the children I have taught during the past two and a half years.  The ones who always sat at my desk to have a chat and keep me company.  The ones who shared their lives with me, their tears and their happiness. The children who never failed to make me smile or make me feel young beyond my years. The ones who saw me as a friend they could trust.
Education is a rewarding job. Rewarding in the sense of gratitude and love you get from your pupils, and not in the financial or professional sense.  The fact is, there are a lot of teachers out there who are too tyrannical, too indifferent and too uncaring to make a difference.  I leave Helen Parkhurst knowing that I've made a difference, and that feels unbelievably good. Just as good as these cupcakes taste...

And because I know you want the recipe, here it is:
(Inspired by Nigella's Cappuccino Cupcakes)

Fab Mocha Cupcakes
Makes 10 cupcakes

125g self-raising flour
125g soft butter
125g sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsps instant espresso
1 tsp cocoa powder
3 tbsps milk

For the frosting:
150g white chocolate
60g butter
125g sour cream
200g powdered sugar
chocolate sprinkles

Preheat the oven to 180C and line a muffin tray with 10 liners.  Use the food processor to mix all the ingredienst for the cupcakes.  Divide the batter between the liners and bake for about 20 minutes.
Let the cupcakes cool in the tray for five minutes on a wire rack. Remove them from the tray and allow to cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting, gently melt the chocolate and the butter au bain marie. Allow the mixture to cool and whisk in the rest of the ingredients until you have a smooth consistency. Swirl on top of the cupcakes and top with the sprinkles.

No comments: