Tuesday, December 29, 2009

As This Year Comes to an End...

Christmas has come and gone, but the memories created this year will remain forever.  First, let me mention that this has been our first year as home owners.  We are utterly proud of our lovely little house and have spent an unforgettable first Christmas here.  I am also grateful for many other things that took place this year.  Here are a few, in no particular order:

1.  I met some lovely new friends.  They have sat with me at my dinner table, we've shared laughs and tears.
2.  I am grateful for my job as an educational assistant at the foreign language department at Helen Parkhurst.  What I love most is the thought that I really mean something to these kids. They share so much with me (good and bad things) and they know that I'm always there for them, with a listening ear, or a freshly-baked cookie.
3.  I finally started French classes! I've wanted to do this for so long but never found the time.  I am really looking forward to speaking some more French with the locals in Duras this year!
4.  And speaking of Duras- we'll definitely head back to Le Cabri in 2010.  Not only were the people lovely (and the food!), but there's a whole wine region we missed due to lack of time.  Can't wait!
5.  I was finally published!  After a lot of internet publications, I finally got to see my work in print!
6.  We've all been happy and healthy.  Sadly though, the health of Meiki (our beloved Siberian Husky) is quickly deteriorating.  She has lots of trouble walking. We see each day with her as a gift and take comfort in knowing that she's been  with us for fourteen years.  She's definitely made her mark in our hearts.
7.  We saw Paul Mc Cartney!!!  If you know us, you'll understand why this was such a big deal.  There would be no Hans, Paola, Kirstie and Meiki if it wasn't for The Beatles!  The experience was surreal- as though I were back in the 60's watching a live Beatles concert!
8.  We had a wonderful Christmas- with SNOW!!  Ok, it wasn't much on Christmas day, but it was snowing in the morning while we opened our presents.  And if you're wondering what I got, well here it is: a Mauviel egg white bowl (just like Julia's!), a Mauviel sauteing pan, Mastering The Art of French Cooking (in English and Dutch), and Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook.  I also treated myself to a pair of super cozy Ara eskimo boots- and I bought some pretty awesome presents for Hans and Kirstie.
9.  Kirstie will turn ten on the 31st of December!  Therefore, I have been a mom for a decade!  How lucky am I?

That's what comes to mind now.  I'm sure there's a lot of little things I forgot.  As this year comes to an end, I'll be drinking some champagne and giving an awful lot of thanks!  Here's to a WONDERFUL 2010!

And to sign off, here are some pictures of our holiday:




Snow!  We actually had a lot of snow- for The Netherlands, anyway.  It was so much fun to go sleighing and to build snowmen, of course!





I am convinced that I baked and cooked more than ever this year!  And yes, I even managed to feed half of my town with all my baked goods!











Kirstie's birthday party was a huge hit! This year she decided to throw a make-over party!  I am lucky enough to have two wonderful friends (and fabulous makeup artists) Ashley and Michelle. They came over to give the girls complete make-overs!  I was stunned when they showed up with professional brushes and lots of other fabulous goodies!  The girls got their makeup done beautifully!! And they even got their hair and nails done! Thanks again to my two lovely buddies! And happy tenth birthday to my gorgeous daughter!

2 comments:

:: said...

Hello, you've had a great year. Wishing you another one! Happy new year!

Paola Westbeek said...

Thanks! And thanks for visting my blog! You also have a great 2010!