Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Ok. So I adore spending time in the kitchen and also think that "one's house is not truly clean unless it's spotless". Does that justify a comparison with Bree? Well, I don't know. All I know is that I DO like her muffins!!
Bree's Blueberry Muffins
From page 59 of the The Desperate Housewives Cookbook
Vegetable oil cooking spray
12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
1½ cups milk
3 large eggs
Grated zest of 1 orange
3 cups all-purpose flour, preferably bleached
2/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling on the tops of the muffins
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
1½ cups fresh blueberries, or 1½ cups frozen blueberries
1. Place a rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 400F. Spray a 12-compartment muffin tin with vegetable oil cooking spray.
2. Combine the butter and milk in a small saucepan over very low heat. When the butter is half melted, pour the mixture into a small mixing bowl and stir until the butter is completely melted. Whisk in the eggs and orange zest thoroughly and set aside.
3. Stir in flour, 2/3 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg together in a large bowl. Add the berries and toss to coat with flour. Pour the milk mixture over the dry ingredients and stir gently from the bottom up just until no white streaks remain. The batter will look lumpy.
4. Divide the batter among the muffin tin compartments. There will be enough batter to fill each compartment to just below the rim. Sprinkle the top of each muffin evenly with sugar. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 22 minutes.
5. Cool the muffins in the tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely before serving.
Makes 12 Muffins