Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Warm Weekend in Bruxelles

Brussels, or Bruxelles, as I prefer to call this wonderful corner of the earth, is one of my favorite cities. I never get tired of standing in the middle of the Grand-Place, staring in amazement at the majestic  architecture of the buildings around me. So many beautiful details, such grandeur! I love sitting at one of the many terraces, with a cool Framboise beer at hand, people-watching and letting the hours slowly slip by. I can't get enough of the food. After all, who can resist mussels and thick-cut fries, rabbit in cherry gravy, crispy shrimp croquettes, a creamy vol-au-vent or some of the best chocolate on the planet? And, of course, being there is a perfect opportunity to practice my French.
Last weekend, we headed to Bruxelles to celebrate my birthday, and as luck would have it, we were treated to the first spring (perhaps even summer-like) days. All city weather boards were registering temperatures above 20C by the afternoon, and for one unforgettable weekend, winter seemed like a distant memory. We even ate outdoors in the evening on Saturday, albeit with a little help from a few overheaed heating lamps! Here is an impression of those two glorious days.