Thursday, January 30, 2014

Veggie Shepherd's Pie

It may come as a surprise to some of you, but I was once 100% vegetarian. Not that I eat a lot of meat these days really, just that I've been eating more than I think is good for me. Especially when I'm in France. There's little chance of me resisting a steak (preferably saignant) at a restaurant or some nice rillettes.
I'm changing my ways though and switching to a diet that's 85% veggie. We're constantly being bombarded by all kinds of silly 'diet' fads, but eating less meat is something I wholeheartedly believe in.
And now for this amazing vegetarian shepherd's pie:

Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
Serves 4

1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 red onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 package of ground tofu (Provamel)
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper
250g potatoes, chopped
500g celeriac, chopped
2 tsps Dijon mustard
3 tbsps cream


Preheat the oven to 200C. In a food processor, blitz the celery, carrots, red onion and garlic, or finely chop by hand. Heat the olive oil and gently saute the veggies. Add the tofu, stir. Now add the tomatoes, sauce, herbs and salt and pepper. Stir, cover and leave while you get on with the mash. Bring the potatoes and celeriac to the boil, lower the heat and allow to cook for about 15 minutes or until soft. Add the mustard, cream and some salt and pepper and mash. Put the sauce in a casserole and top with the mash. Dot the mash with a little butter and pop the dish in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Serve with a salad.