Thursday, December 05, 2013

Speculaas Grand Marnier Muffins

In case you're wondering where I've been, well, let me put it this way -- you can find me in the kitchen. Not only am I just recovering from cooking a colossal Thanksgiving dinner, but a Dutch women's magazine recently approached me about writing recipes for them. Of course, no matter how busy I am, I agreed. You can't pass up a wonderful opportunity such as that one! I'll keep you posted. For now, all I can say is that the first recipes are due to appear in early 2014!
But on to today's recipe. It's Sinterklaas here in the Netherlands, which means presents and lots of sweets without any guilt (not that I ever feel guilt, really). Besides all the usual goodies such as marzipan and chocolate letters, I decided to quickly whip up a batch of these muffins. It's dark as night here, very cold, and very rainy. My teen will like these when she gets home. And PS: Don't fret about the alcohol. It won't make you or your child drunk!

Speculaas Grand Marnier Muffins
Makes 10

250g all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp speculaas spices (or pumpkin pie spices)
pinch of salt
2 eggs
125g creme fraiche
2 tbsps Grand Marnier (or more if you're brave)
200g granulated sugar
50ml sunflower oil

Preheat the oven to 180C and line or grease a muffin tin. Mix the flour, baking powder, speculaas spices and salt in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk the eggs, creme fraiche, Grand Marnier, sugar and oil. Gently add the wet ingredients to the dry. Divide the batter over the liners and bake for 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool briefly on a wire rack and enjoy!