Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Thoughts of the Day

In a little over a week, I will be headed back to my heart's home -- Duras. That beautiful French village that captured my heart five years ago like no other place in France ever has. Everything from the wines to the breathtaking scenery, with hill after hill of golden sunflowers, as though you've stepped into a Van Gogh painting. This is the place where I want to grow old.
At the moment though, life is still very busy (to say it mildly). We're just putting the finishing touches on the September/October issue of DUTCH. Hard to believe, but the July/August issue has just hit the stands! That's the way it is in the world of media. You're always ten steps ahead, living in the future. But what a fantastic job I have! It's funny to think that when I was a little girl, I always entertained myself by making my own books and magazines. The covers were made of cracker boxes which I cut open and covered with colored paper. The inside was notebook paper, folded in half and stapled to the 'cover'. I had fantasies about becoming a writer, and here I am, years later, living my dream. Not a day goes by without me realizing how lucky I am.
Hard work it is though! The process involves editing everything that goes into the magazine, sourcing images, brainstorming new ideas, accepting or rejecting pitches, answering emails and making sure that at the end of the line, we can bring a fantastic product out into the market.  Workaholic should be my middle name -- besides being an editor, I still write for a wide variety of publications: on everything from gastronomy to arts and culture. But because it's work I love, it never feels like a sacrifice. Especially when the morning rolls into the afternoon and I can treat yourself to something wonderful. Like this beautiful dish of escargots, one of my favorite French treats!




No comments: