Thursday, December 06, 2012

New Adventures and Quick Lentil Salad for Busy Days

Life has been busy lately, but only in good ways. I'm very excited to announce that I am now the  associate editor of DUTCH, the magazine. I have had the honor of writing for this wonderful publication for just a little over a year now and every article has been a pleasure to produce. I love the culture of the Netherlands. In fact, I majored in Dutch Studies (Nederlandkunde) at the University of Leiden. Embracing this new opportunity at this point in my writing career feels very right.
Aside from that, my days are still filled with developing recipes and making foodie movies for clients, freelancing for diverse media and simply being a happy mom, wife and friend! The only thing I'm guilty about lately is that I'm not quite the Martha I used to be. I have to learn to not get so frazzled about the teeny tiny things. Like the closet that needs to be organized or the windows which by this time are practically screaming for a good scrubbing! At the end of my busy days, the only thing I want to do is cook a good meal and open a nice bottle.
Fortunately, I work from home, so during the middle of the day I refuel by taking out some time to enjoy a good, wholesome lunch. Nothing complicated. Usually it's just a simple salad and once in a while, hubby and I like to treat ourselves to lunch at a nice place. Today, for example, I made a really quick little salad: some lentils, a bit of rocket lettuce, a few cherry tomatoes, feta and a tangy lemon dressing. That's all! Here's what it looked like:
A delicious variation is to try the salad with chickpeas instead of lentils, red bell pepper instead of tomatoes and mozzarella instead of feta. After a lunch like this, I'm more than ready for a productive afternoon. They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but for me, it may just be lunch!

No comments: