Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Cooking with Jamie

I'm a huge Jamie Oliver fan, and I'm a Francophile, so when the Dutch Jamie Magazine announced they were having a cookalong to go with the French chapter of his book Jamie Does, I simply had to join in. And not with one recipe, but with seven. For a whole week, I tried one Jamie recipe a day. From hearty autumn salads to his chunky pork terrine.
I had written about the book for the Dutch site Ze.nl earlier this year, but I had not gotten around to cooking anything from the French chapter. Mainly because I found those recipes (pumpkin pie, gratin, rustic salads, terrine) more fit for the cooler months. I did, however, make some recipes from the Greek chapter, like his souvlaki with tzatziki, which was an amazing meal for two on a sultry summer evening.
Just as I expected, the French chapter had some fab recipes which were really a pleasure to cook. My favorites were probably the courgette and rice gratin (transported me to an auberge in the French countryside!) and the roquefort salad. The warm quail salad was kind of a flop, but I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with the recipe but rather with the old and tough quails I was unfortunate enough to take home. I also learned some new things, like how to make my first terrine!
If you don't have the book, it's definitely one to add to your collection. No one can take you on a taste adventure like Jamie can!
PS: My roquefort salad got published on the Dutch Jamie Magazine website! Pretty cool, no?

No comments: