Friday, July 15, 2011

A Craving for Quiche

I remember reading Susan Herrmann Loomis' Tarte Tatin and her mentioning that she sometimes bought these gorgeous little quiches at her local market in Louviers. According to Susan, Madeleine and Jean-Pierre made the best quiches she ever tasted. If I had more time, I would love to escape to Normandy and try one of these quiches, because truth be told, I do adore a good quiche!
It's the perfect lunchtime treat and (once sliced) packs up wonderfully well for a picnic.  I also love quiches for their versatility. The golden, eggy custard can pretty much carry anything your heart fancies- from vegetables to all kinds of meats and fish!
Generally speaking, I always make my own crust from good butter (I cannot stress how important this is), flour and an egg. I find that it gives a better result than the rolls of ready-made pastry you buy in the shops.  I know I should really share my recipe for quiche lorraine with you first (as that is the mother of quiches!), but after a sudden craving for quiche yesterday, I came up with these tasty, rustic little quiches and I am just dying to share the recipe with you!
Within half an hour I was sinking my teeth into a hearty quiche, and I was very happy indeed.
In case you're eager to make a bigger quiche, you might  want to try another one of my favorite quiche recipes- with broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes and goat's cheese.  This quiche has earned me a lot of compliments, so do give it a go. But before, I give you the recipe for my mini-quiche, I am curious to know what your favorite quiche recipe is?  What kind of filling does it have? And where do you buy the best quiches?
Here's my mini-quiche recipe, which for the sake of convenience (and my sudden quiche craving), uses ready-made pastry. A great added bonus is that I also had the opportunity of using up some of the ingredients left over from yesterday's omelette!

Quick Mini-Quiches
Makes 6
3 small square sheets of ready-made pastry (that's how they sell them here in the Netherlands) or enough ready-made pastry to cover 6 holes of a regular muffin tin
2 eggs
100ml unsweetened evaporated milk (yup, you read right- this made these babies so much richer)
60g garlic-flavored cream cheese
1/2 small courgette, diced
2 thin spring onions, finely chopped
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preheat your oven to 180C and generously grease 6 holes of your muffin tin. Defrost your pastry if necessary and roll it out just a little thinner. Line the muffin tin with the pastry, nipping and tucking it a little here and there and not worrying about being too neat! Whisk the eggs, evaporated milk, cheese and salt and pepper to taste.  Add in the courgettes and onions.  Divide the mixture between the pastry-lined holes and pop in the oven for about 25 minutes.  Allow to cool slightly on a wire rack (in the tin) before serving.

No comments: