Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Granny's Lemon Crème Fraîche Loaf

I am a sucker for a good cake.  Especially those dense, buttery cakes that remind me of my grandmother. She always had a loaf of Entenmann's pound cake in the house and I simply could not get away without having a slice (or two) with a cold glass of milk.  If I think about it, it really was my grandmother who taught me to appreciate sweet things. She couldn't bake (she did make a mean scrambled egg!), but there was never a lack of cookies, cakes and pies in her house.  And if she ran out, she would immediately send my uncle out to get a new supply of sugar and carbs!
Those were the good ol' days when no one worried about calories and fat.  It was all about sharing a piece of cake with grandma!
Therefore, I dedicate this recipe to her!

Granny's Lemon Crème Fraîche Loaf
125g soft butter
200g sugar
250g flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
zest and juice of one lemon (about60-70ml juice)
125ml creme fraiche
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 170C and prepare a cake pan. Beat butter and sugar until pale. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Add the lemon zest.  In another bowl, whisk the  crème fraîche, eggs and lemon juice.  Add this to the butter mixture and beat again.  Mix will curdle. No worries!  Stir in the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon. Pour batter into pan and bake for 1 hour.  Allow to cool on a wire rack before serving.

No comments: