Friday, October 02, 2009

I Love My Endive Salad!



A hearty lentil and sausage casserole is one of my favorite dishes during the colder months. I usually cook the lentils (Puy!) in half wine, half water and then I add a good shake of herbs de Provence. I then sear some lamb sausages, transfer them to the pan with the lentils and let them continue cooking there.
This casserole is usually served with my lemony endive salad with capers. The cold and bitter salad provides a wonderful contrast with the warmth of the lentils.
But why limit yourself?
This salad would also be great served with bean casseroles or even over a warm bowl of rice!

Oh- and for those who say the hate endive, feed them this!

Here's the recipe:

Lemony Endive Salad with Capers and Cracked Pepper
Serves 6

3 medium endive, about 500g, ends removed
good pinch of fleur de sel
juice of 1 lemon
3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
small jar of capers in brine (150g), about 60g drained weight, but keep the brine
plenty of freshly-cracked mixed peppercorns

After removing the bitter ends, cut the endive in half and then cut each half into thin strips. Put the endive in a medium-sized bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir thouroughly and allow to sit for about an hour before serving.

1 comment:

julie said...

I am going to try this, Paola, as I usually make one with blue cheese and walnuts, but this is an interesting new version.

Love your new recipes :)