Friday, November 07, 2008

A Sticky and Lusciously Sweet Pudding Cake


Tell me? How big is your sweeth tooth?

Well, mine just happens to be HUGE! I am a self- proclaimed sugar fanatic who has a hard time resisting things like dulce de leche (straight out of the jar), sugary meringues and bars of cheap white chocolate (higher sugar content). In a perfect world, I would eat nothing but sugar and still be healthy and fit! Alas! A girl also has to eat her fruits, veggies, lean proteins and whole grains.

Recently, I added a wonderful recipe to my repertoire of sinfully sweet desserts. I tried the recipe, courtesy of Greg Patent's book, A Baker's Oddyssey, for the latest issue of Desserts Magazine and oh am I glad I did! This is definitely a recipe I will keep in mind should I find myself going through one of my sugar- crazed moments.

I present to you the lusciously sweet Boschendal Pudding Cake- a soft, syrupy cake which is a dream to make and a dream to eat. You simply make the sponge and then drench it with a sweet, creamy sauce, allowing it to slowly seep into the cake. It is best to serve this cake warm but I find that it goes down just as well once cold. One thing I do recommend is a hearty, face- puckering ristretto to go with it!

For the recipe, please turn to pages 72-73 of Desserts Magazine. This issue, by the way, is their largest ever! Plenty of ideas to satisfy that naughty ol' sweet tooth of ours!

NOTE: In my experience, the amounts given for the sauce are a bit on the generous side. Half of that amount should suffice.

5 comments:

Norm said...

Lovely to see you blogging again Paola! Good luck with the house-move and the new job.

This cake/pudding looks incredible! I love the online magazine as well. Your photo is just luscious!

Paola Westbeek said...

Thanks Norm!

It is a great magazine! I'm always very happy to contribute to it- and yes, the cake is awesome!

paola

Anonymous said...

Paola, so nice to see you blogging again. I missed your recipes! Good luck with the new job and house.

Angela Benson

Anna's kitchen table said...

Woooooooah! That looks incredible Paola.

Anonymous said...

mmm ... this looks sinfully delicious!