Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Apple and Plum Crumble


It was still dark when I set out to walk the dog this morning. The sky was clear and the cool air seemed to forecast wonderfully brisk autumn-like weather. Officially, there are still a few weeks to go before summer comes to an end, but I knew today would be one of those days begging for warm, cozy food. As daylight began to break and I made my way home, my heart was already set on what to make for dessert that evening. Crumble!

Here's to chillier days!

Apple and Plum Crumble

*400g ripe Victoria plums

*550g Jonagold apples
*50g whole wheat flour

*50g oatmeal

*2 tbsps unrefined cane sugar
*60g ground almonds
*70g cold butter cut into small cubes

*1 tbsp rum

*1 tsp ground cinnamon

*pinch of grated nutmeg

*vanilla ice cream to serve


Preheat oven to 180C. Clean fruit and cut into thick chunks. Lightly grease an 11 X 7 1/2 inch oval pan. Arrange fruit in pan, drizzle with the rum and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. In a food processor, combine the flour, oatmeal, sugar and butter. Pulse a few times until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Spread over the fruit and bake 50 minutes. Serve the crumble hot with a good scoop of vanilla ice cream.

3 comments:

Kelly-Jane said...

I'm the same, the slightest sniff of cool air and something warm and comforting is needed, yum!

Anonymous said...

The crumble looks great! I'm going to miss summer dearly...it felt like it was hardly ever here!

Nora B. said...

Crumble is definite my first choice when it comes to comfort food. Yours look so tempting.