Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I'm Going to See Rogier!




















It's done! We're headed to Bourgogne this July and I'm counting the days already. This is THE place for good food and wine. Let's see where should I start? With the wine or with the MUSTARD?? Dijon here I come! I recently read an article in Elle Food where it said that there are certain types of specialty mustards that you can only get in Dijon and nowhere else. But food isn't the only thing I love, as you know...

I CANNOT wait to set foot in Hôtel-Dieu in Beaune!!! I think I'm more excited about this than I am about the food! This is, as far as I'm concerned, where Dutch art started. I still remember my professor telling us all about Rogier van der Weyden during our freshman year and I got emotional just looking at his work on slides. I don't know what will become of me when I see his 'Last Judgement Polyptych' up close and in living color! Hans has been warned that I will be having a moment then. The magnificence of this work is impossible to describe. The precise detail of van der Weyden's brushstrokes, clean, with almost photographic precision is amazing and the emotion in his paintings is phenomenal. I dare you to contemplate his 'Deposition' and not be moved. It's powerful, powerful work.

Rogier van der Weyden was one of the greatest early Netherlandish artists. His work is characterized by minute detail, intense colors and overwhelming emotion. To learn more click on the following link: http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/bio/w/weyden/rogier/biograph.html


I can't tell you how excited I am about seeing his work this summer. It will be one of those things I never forget.

1 comment:

Anna's kitchen table said...

ah, Paola, how wonderful!

I envy you seeing all this wonderful art, how could anyone NOT be moved?!

xxx

PS Have a wonderful time and look forward to hearing more about your trip.