Sunday, November 19, 2006

Ode to Lotta's Soup!


Well guys, if you're looking for a good carrot soup, look no further! I made a wonderful carrot and coconut soup for lunch today after Lotta kindly shared the recipe with me yesterday. Now let me tell you, I am a carrot's biggest fan! Two or three bottles of carrot juice are consumed weekly in this house and nothing is tastier than a carrot muffin (at least I think so!). Carrot soup of course, as you can imagine, is the ultimate cold weather soup for me. And this one was delicious! It came just at the right time, as I have caught a bit of a cold. Not just yummy but good for you too! Here's the recipe Lotta shared with me. I'm sure she wouldn't mind me sharing it with you!

NOTE: I omitted the creme fraiche and the pistachios and it was still great!

CARROT & COCONUT SOUP

preparation time: 15 mins
cooking time: 30 mins

2 onions
2 garlic cloves
1 kg carrots
2 tsp cumin
1 tbsp vegetable oil
700 ml vegetable stock
1 can (400 g) coconut milk
chopped coriander/cilantro (about 100 ml)
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

on top:
1 tbsp roasted pistachios
1 tbsp creme fraiche

Peel and chop onions and carrots. Sauté onions, carrots and cumin in a pot in 1 tbsp oil.

Add vegetable stock and coconut milk. Let the soup simmer for about 30 minutes or until the carrots feel tender.

Add coriander and lime juice. Purée the soup in a blender / with a hand-held blender, season with salt and pepper.

Decorate with pistachios and creme fraiche.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Oh thats looks so good. As its going into winter here I'll be making this soon. Thanks for sharing.